Saturday was the big day that sweet Mia Gomez (9) and military man Niko McPhee were baptized. A lot of people came out to support them, a great day!! Mia was so excited and was just beaming, as was Grandpa and Grandma. She invited her best friend from school to come to it...I thought that was sweet. Niko's wife is a member, was inactive but has returned as her husband has taken the lessons.
On Monday, we went with the Elders to meet with Betty Parmokizola (78) who has a lot of questions about the church. We visited for quite a while and I ask her if she had any questions on where she was before earth life, while she was here and where she would go on death. She said yes, so I led the discussion on the Plan of Salvation!! Me...wow!! It is usually the missionaries that teach and we work at reactivating. It was great!! We are going to meet with her again tomorrow.
We have another calling...we are the inspectors of the missionary apartments that live here in the complex, three sets of them, and also the Elders in the next apartment building. So we told them we would be there between 9 and 9:30 on Wednesday morning. I was amazed how clean they all were...they had all been working on mold in the shower and it was all gone! We gave them good marks and a box of Twinkies for passing...they were very excited!! We have such a good group of Elders.
Elder Sterneckert had asked if I could fix his pants, when they helped us move I showed them I had a sewing machine and told them I would mend clothes. He had four pair of pants...three could be fixed and one was in too bad of condition. He said he had been wearing his black shorts, so the ripped seams weren't as visible. They are resourceful!!
Our Stake had a light dinner before the General Relief Society, I volunteered to do a soup (had to borrow a crockpot, mine is very small). I made a vegetable soup and got it going before the baptism. So I was getting ready to take off for the meeting and we got a phone call. It was a member asked Elder Medsker if he would give her husband a blessing. He had to have emergency surgery so we needed to leave right then. We picked up his wife (hence I had to go with) and off we went for the Balboa Military Hospital. After the blessing, we started back home and I thought of the big pot of soup. So I texted the missionaries and told them if they didn't have a dinner appointment, I had soup. Four Elders made it and the crock pot was licked clean!! Elders Wilkey and Calzaada really enjoyed it, they kept calling it "mama food", they have very few dinner appointments, we will have to have them come over again when I cook!!
The Bishop asked the missionaries and us to teach a class on how to be a good member missionary. We met together and made a lesson plan from Preach My Gospel. The first class was last Wednesday and the turnout wasn't too bad. The Elders taught it and besides us there were five people there: a sister who is a ward missionary, the YM president and his wife and a YW advisor and her husband. The thing is, he isn't a member. He's being taught by the elders and should join, but is resisting. Each of the members of the class are to pick a person to work on, and we decided he should pick himself. It just seems kind of crazy to have a non member come to a class on how to be a missionary. The class will be about nine weeks long, and we'll take turns teaching it.
No comments:
Post a Comment