Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!!

 When I was a young mother, I did not like Mother's Day...the day talks were given and songs sung about how wonderful mothers were....and I would think of the times I yelled at my kids, saw all the things I didn't do and saw the chaos in my home....oh, the guilt!!  But at this "older" age I love Mother's Day....I have a day set aside to ponder the adventure it was and is!!    To be a mother, grandmother, an aunt even a neighbor who gets to love the children of the earth....what a treasured privilege!!   My beautiful, incredible children gave me many experiences...many, that will always fill my mind and heart, some that make me smile and I am glad they were a once in a lifetime opportunity!!  :)  I love them and am so grateful I was able to be called a "mom".  The word "Mom"....makes certain words just come to mind..."what is for dinner, can I take the car, are you home, what can I eat, can you take me".....you have to love being a MOM!!  At this moment in my life...the phone calls, the texts, the skypes and the notes in the mail...are precious indeed!!



 Our appointments and meetings this week have all been pushed to the afternoons, so we can been able to get some early morning walks in!!  One was out on Monument Road...it goes out to the park that is right off the ocean and right by the border fence.  It is interesting to watch people just across the fence in Mexico!!  The spring flowers are out along the side of the road...all colors and heights.  I love looking at a show that nature puts on in the Spring.  The orange flower is a vine that grows up in the trees and up the mountain side.  It is nasturtium...I always put it in my planters at home...it thrives here!!

These yellows ones are about six feet tall...so airy.  Then there are the little daisies!!

Monday night was our Senior FHE...we watched the movie "Mario's Conviction".  A story of man's journey from  Mafia to Mormon.  Wow, what a story, if you have a chance read the book or watch the movie do so.  It really makes you think.....

This week was inspection of missionary apartments!!  So glad our missionaries are clean...there were not a lot of problems except the hole in the carpet about six inches in diameter, luckily by the corner of the couch next to all the basketballs and one fits in it nicely.  One of the missionaries spilled bleach he was pouring into a small container...over the carpet...don't ask!!  I had to talk to him about the procedure...write a letter to the housing missionary, so he can contact the manager of the apartment...so when the lease is up, it won't come as a big shock!!  I think we will have the apartment for years....good location and good apartment, except the hole in the carpet!!

Wednesday evening, went out to dinner on the pier with two senior couples...the Jeppesen are leaving Wednesday to go home and the Jensens are taking their place.  The Jeppesens have been dear friends, we will miss them, they have been a great support for us.  Their assignment has been Military Relations. 




Elder Costley, Elder Bittner and Elder Richey came over for dinner on Thursday evening.  I fixed a sausage casserole, green salad and poppy seed rolls. They ate every morsel, which is great otherwise we would be eating it for weeks!!  We had such a great visit and got to know more about them.  Elder Richey came at the last transfer and is here waiting for his visa to come through so he can go to Brazil.

Elder Costley we met earlier in the day at an appointment.  He is the Zone leader and was out with the Elders.  When he introduced himself, I said "from Plain City?"  He looked at us as I said "Elder and Sister Medsker from Pleasant View".  He got a big smile on his face and told us he had been watching for us and we had been watching for him.  His mother cut Ali's hair and they found out we were all down here on a mission and let us know.  So it was fun to connect...what a powerhouse missionary!!

We had our monthly meeting with the other MLS (Member Leader Support) missionaries.  Our topic was how we all sorted out what our callings were and how we are each doing such different things.  I told them when we got our call, I had never heard of it.  So I called President and Sister Broadbent in Kenya and ask what it was. After explaining  that we would be assigned by the President to an area and the Bishops would use us where they needed us,  Pres. Broadbent warned me the President wouldn't know what we would be doing and the Bishop would give us assignments, but it was up to us to "find our mission". We all agreed it was great advice and it proved true...  We made a list to give to the President to hand to new MLS missionaries and that was one of the things at the top!!  We met for about an hour at the Mormon Battalion then walked down to Old Town and had dinner at one of the many Mexican restaurants, we will try a different one each month!! President and Sister Clayton and their son who is visiting joined us for dinner.

Today was Isaiah Avalos's baptism, age 10.  It was a great baptism, two of the Elders that worked with him before transfers came back.  Elder Howard baptized him and Elder Bittner confirmed him. The family was totally inactive before the missionaries found them.  They immediately started to come to church and wanted Isaiah baptized.  It was wonderful to see the change in the whole family.  BJ (his grandmother) was so excited that he wanted to get baptized.  His mom (Aurora) said she felt it was the "beginning of a new life for all of them".  Such a wonderful feeling there.  Their family life has been so hard, but now it has direction and they are all feeling it. A great day.....


No comments:

Post a Comment