Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dirt Under the Fingernails!

Elder Medsker called to see how our friend, Jim Brotmarkle was doing.  After chatting with him for a few minutes, I told him to see if he needed any help with his garden and flower beds, I was sure willing.  He said his granddaughter was keeping things up, they did need to plant some onions and I could help with that.  In other words, let her come over and I will let her play!  I took him up on it and Saturday morning we went over.  Megan was there, she is almost 13 and was sweet to let me help (she sure didn't need it)!!  We planted a couple of short rows then I started pulling out weeds and grass out of the other gardens.  I played for about 1 1/2 hours....so fun!!  I thanked him for letting me come and play, I think he thinks I am nuts!!

For Family Home Evening, we had three Senior Couples come down...Jeppesens, Kitchens and Jensens...and we walked out on the pier to have dinner.  When we got there, it was closed.  We never have seen it closed, so we regrouped and went to Carrows for dinner.  We had such a fun time laughing and talking.  Jensens just got here, they will be taking over as Military Missionaries for the Jeppsens when they go home in a  couple of weeks.  The Kitchens are in the office, he is in charge of housing and has been very, very busy with all our new missionaries.  Great Elders and Sisters!!

We had a couple of real good visits this week.  One of the couples we visited with a couple of weeks ago has a ten years old boy, we mentioned that to the missionaries and they got right on it and are giving the boy the lessons and he wants to be baptized.  The parents were very impressed at how well they related to their son. Hopefully it will work out and one or both of the parents will bring him to church and become active also.  They are great people and would really fit in well in the ward. 

Chantelle, who was a secretary in the law office at home, and her husband, Jared, just moved down here a couple of weeks ago, he is in the Navy.  We met up with them on Friday evening and walked out on the pier for dinner (it was open!).  It was fun to get to know them, they are expecting a baby in November and are very excited.  After dinner, we scanned the ocean to see if we could find any creatures and saw quite a few dolphins playing and out further we saw three or four whales blowing water!!  I saw the back of one....exciting!!  There was quite a group of us watching them.

Now for our most exciting news...Paul Spiers was baptized.  He has been investigating the church for about a year...had lots of questions and studied a lot about the church.  We went with the missionaries on one of their visits and Elder Howard ask if he was still good to be baptized, Paul said he was.  Then he ask how they were going to do it...which is a valid question because he is a large man and in a wheelchair.  He can use a walker for short distances.  Our mission leader, Elder Meyers, has gone with to teach him also and has given him rides to and from church, so they decided he should baptize him.  He is a Border Patrol Agent and has huge muscles!!  There were a lot of people there to support him and the baptism went very well.  Paul was all smiles and today he was confirmed a member.  Good things!!  One other side note, the other two missionaries we worked with and had taught Paul over the last year were able to come down for the baptism. It was so good to see them and catch up what they are doing!!








No comments:

Post a Comment