Sunday, June 10, 2012

Outside the Temple...

We got an e-mail asking for help for the next six weeks to serve as missionaries on the grounds of the temple.  They have a lot of people stop to see this incredible building and want to know about it.  So in the summer time they have a set of missionaries there all the time, usually the young sister missionaries, but they are short right now so ask for help.  We called Friday afternoon and said we could help, they ask if they could be there Saturday morning at 9am...they work fast down here!  They told us where we would find pictures and information, etc. to hand out.  It was fun being there and watching brides and grooms and their families come...not sure how many, there were quite a few.  Another young family come with three young children with them, they were going to be sealed in the temple as a forever family.  Awesome to watch them approach the temple.  Most of the people we talked to in our three hour shift were members of the church wanting to get pictures by the temple and walk the grounds.  I did meet a young man from India with his California cousin who was here for two months.  He had many questions and kept telling me he was a Christian.  He loved it here and hoped to return in two years and stay with his uncle and go to school.  The only down thing of the morning, was I dressed in a light short sleeve outfit...it was cloudy, but I assumed after we got away from the coast line, there would be sun.  Not so...cloudy until just before noon (when the picture was taken) and a brisk 60 degrees.  I was freezing, I finally got out a blanket we keep in the trunk and bundled up...I did not look good, but I was beyond that.  There were a lot of teenage girls waiting for the bridal parties to come out who were also bundled in blankets.  Another senior couple missionaries walked by with friends and she happened to have a sweater in her car she lent me....was so very grateful!!
          As people go through the missionary lessons and find joy in what they are being taught and share it, it makes me take a second look at what I have.  One investigator sister sat by me in Relief Society last week, the Elders are teaching her, but we talk often.  She leaned over to me and said she was doing this for the first time today, it was hard but she was able to do it.  I ask what she was doing and she said "fasting".  She said the missionaries told be it might be hard, but to have a purpose and when she started having a hard time, she thought about her purpose.  She said I am doing it and I like the way I feel.  I gave her a big hug and told her how proud I was of her.....how long has it been since you were excited to fast??!  I love the feelings that are awakening in me in moments like this.  She is so excited to be baptized.

No comments:

Post a Comment